In House digital radiography for Pets
Summerside Vet Hospital, in Edmonton, is equipped with a digital radiograph system. This system has a multitude of advantages over the conventional x-rays. These include;
- High quality images that surpass the traditional film technology
- The ability to display the images of your pet in our examination rooms and show you exactly what our medical eyes see
- Can digitally send the results to board-certified radiologists for a second professional opinion
- This allows us to have an expert opinion the same day, which can sometimes mean the difference between life and death for an animal.
- minimal radiation exposure
- increased speed
- able to modify/enhance images
- electronically stored images allowing for quicker recovery
- less costly
Summerside Vet Hospital is pleased to provide our patients with the ease and benefits of our in-house laboratory. In many cases, this laboratory allows our veterinarians to run diagnostic procedures and have same-day results.
Laboratory and diagnostic tests are an important component of your pet’s comprehensive veterinary health. By conducting these tests while your pet is healthy our staff are able to establish baseline values which can be extremely helpful if your pet becomes ill. These values can also be used to assist veterinarians in tracking shifts in values over time; questionable changes can be an early sign of more serious medical conditions.
As your pet enters the senior years, or if he/she has a chronic condition requiring medication, the in-house laboratory can help ensure the liver, kidneys, and heart are functioning properly.
Summerside Vet Hospital is equipped to perform the following diagnostic tests on:
- CBC (Complete Blood Counts)
- Blood chemistry panels to evaluate internal organ function
- Fecal exam and testing for intestinal parasites
- Parvovirus testing
- Heartworm Detection
- Electrolyte evaluation
- Cytology of skin and ear samples
- Feline Leukemia and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus testing
If your pet requires any additional testing, we have a partnership with an outside reference lab; this lab offers overnight testing on many specialized tests.
Pre-Anesthetic Blood Work
The veterinary staff at Summerside Vet Hospital recommend pre-anesthetic blood work for every pet but say it is required for any animal over the age of 5 years; this ensures the animal is healthy enough to withstand the anesthesia used for certain procedures. It also provides the veterinarian with useful information in customizing both the anesthesia and pain management protocols for the individual animal.